Men's Soccer

Tajon Buchanan, a freshman forward in first career start, nails No. 8 Syracuse’s game-winner in extra time

Courtesy of Syracuse Athletics

Junior attacking midfielder Jonathan Hagman scored SU's first goal to tie the score at one, setting up the stage for Tajon Buchanan's winner.

The overtime period neared toward the sixth minute. Knotted in a tie, Syracuse’s Hugo Delhommelle crossed the ball in front of the net. The ball neared Tajon Buchanan, a freshman forward in his first collegiate game who put the ball in the back of the net for the winner.

After a slow first half that included 13 fouls in 37 minutes, SU fell behind, 1-0, in the 72nd minute. But No. 8 Syracuse (1-0) battled back on the road, downing Saint Louis (0-1) in the season opener, 2-1. SU continues its road trip at Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville on Sunday, before its home opener at SU Soccer Stadium next Friday afternoon.

Saint Louis struck first after 71 minutes of scoreless play, as Jacob Krupp put one past Hendrik Hilpert. About eight minutes later, Jonathan Hagman settled the ball after an Adnan Bakalovic pass. The junior midfielder, who finished second on the team in goals last season, tied the game up at one apiece.

Eleven minutes of scoreless regular time ensued with Saint Louis outshooting the Orange four to one. In overtime, SU took over. Two corner kicks and a Delhommelle pass later, SU found its first win of the season. The Orange outshot Saint Louis 11 to six and landed six more shots on goal. Still, the Billikens kept fighting back.

Then a freshman in his first career game delivered the knockout punch.